Builders of Valençay during the Renaissance

Builders of Valençay during the Renaissance

For the 500 Years of Renaissance(S] being celebrated in 2019 in the Centre-Val de Loire Region, Château de Valençay will be hosting an exhibition entitled Builders of Valençay during the Renaissance, from June 1 to November 11, showcasing the Etampes family, who owned the château for 300 years before the property was acquired by Talleyrand.


Exhibition Curators:
Anne Gérardot, Director of the Indre Departmental Archives

This exhibition will endeavor to shed light on the largely-unknown history of the Etampes family, who enjoyed remarkable social advancement between Berry and the Val de Loire before peaking under the reigns of Louis XIII and the young Louis XIV, relying on a network of prestigious alliances (Hurault, Happlaincourt, Béthune, Montmorency and more) and reasserting their status through the art of building and collecting. This was the case with Jean d’Etampes (1548-1620), who had the keep built; his son Léonor d’Etampes de Valençay (1579-1636), Abbot of Bourgueil and later Bishop and Archbishop of Reims, as well as patron of Claude Vignon and Jacob Bunel; Dominique d’Etampes (1601-1691), who delivered the full potential of Château de Valençay by completing the enclosure around the Grand Courtyard and by entrusting its decoration to Pierre de Cortone and Jean Mosnier; and his brother Henri d’Etampes (1603-1678), Ambassador for the King of France in Rome, who commissioned an Assumption of the Virgin from Nicolas Poussin in 1650, which is now in the collections of the Louvre Museum.

Focusing on the figures of Louis d’Etampes and Marie Hurault, and supported by contributions from building archeology and largely-unpublished archive documents, this exhibition aims to give all of its visitors an understanding of the lifestyle of these great lords of the Renaissance and the scope of their architectural achievements, closely linked to new tours that will be offered at Château de Valençay on the theme of the architecture of the period.




Useful Information

From 1st June to 11 November

Opening hours from the castle

Entrance fee